About this course
This course develops both your theory and practical skills to confidently take control on the helm. This is perfect for those who wish to develop their sailing skills; helming, wind awareness, tacking and gybing.
Preparation of the boat, helm and trim on all points of sail, recovery of man overboard whilst at the helm.
“I cannot speak highly enough of Sunshine Sailing Australia. I loved it and learn’t so much from it.”
David Wood, Sherwood
‘A great learning experience, lots of information, very capable instructors who know how to deliver.’
Ross Mitchell, Brisbane.
- How to helm the yacht on all points of sail
- How to set the sails and hunt the breeze
- Better helming techniques whilst tacking & gybing
- Understanding wind & weather
- Recognize relative direction to the wind & where it’s coming from
- Deeper understanding of the Rules of the Road
- Better understanding of the Buoyage system
- More knots, clove hitch, single and double sheet bends & rope handling
- How to use Winches plus jammers & cleats correctly
Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bathing suit, a warm jumper, change of clothes (minimal wardrobe needed), spray jacket. Be sure to pack this in a flexible soft bag. Water bottle, lunch and a snack.
Course starts 9:30am. Our office is located at The Mooloolaba Marina on Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba just an hour north of Brisbane. There’s ample parking. Click HERE to see a map.
The ‘Start Helming’ certificate presented upon successful completion of your course.