About this course
You will now advance your sailing skills and safety knowledge to enable you to skipper unsupervised in sheltered waters.
Assess risks on board, monitor boat maintenance, know the actions in an emergency, sail on or off a dock, mooring and anchor, interpret weather forecasts and managing crew. With skippering comes the responsibilities of keeping the vessel and crew safe, therefore a deeper knowledge and understanding at all skills are important.
“I cannot speak highly enough of Sunshine Sailing Australia. I loved it and learn’t so much from it.”
David Wood, Sherwood
‘A great learning experience, lots of information, very capable instructors who know how to deliver.’
Ross Mitchell, Brisbane.
- How to prepare the yacht for coming alongside
- How to set sails, how to trim & reef sails in all conditions
- How to moor and anchor
- Interpret weather forecasts
- Take control of different MOB situations
- Apply the Rules of the Road
- Understanding the buoyage system symbols and sequences
- Advanced knots & stowing
- Safety & safety equipment
- Seamanship; chartwork, tides and currents
Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bathing suit, a warm jumper, change of clothes (minimal wardrobe needed), spray jacket. Be sure to pack this in a flexible soft bag. Water bottle, lunch and a snack.
Course starts 10am. Our office is located at The Mooloolaba Marina on Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba just an hour north of Brisbane. There’s ample parking. Click HERE to see a map.
The ‘Start Skippering’ certificate presented upon successful completion of your course.