About this course
This Marine First Aid course is mandatory for racing yachtsmen and highly recommended for all who venture offshore under power or sail.
Most yachtsmen and women undertake basic first aid training as a precaution against the inevitable accidents at sea. But we are only taught how to stabilize a patient until the ambulance arrives, usually within 11 minutes for accidents ashore.
At sea, using Radio Medical, the response time for a medivac is 3 hours.
Our course is one full day (10 hours) of quality instruction.
“I cannot speak highly enough of Sunshine Sailing Australia. I loved it and learn’t so much from it.”
David Wood, Sherwood
‘A great learning experience, lots of information, very capable instructors who know how to deliver.’
Ross Mitchell, Brisbane.
Conducted by experienced yachtsmen who are trained paramedics
- Certificates valid for 3 years issued by Red Cross Australia
- Meets AYF/RYA/ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing requirements
- Ideal training for the remote (marine) workplace
- Injections and how to give them
- Radio medical protocols & medical kit recommendations
- CPR in a marine environment
- Severe burns & bleeding, how to suture wounds
- Patient evacuation by helicopter & marine rescue
- Bone & crush injuries; concussion
- Hypothermia treatment and much more
- This course builds on your basic first aid training
- Ideal for revalidation of your existing qualification
Note pad and pen, lunch and little lunch; payment by cheque or cash.
Course are run at Manly, Brisbane or Mosman, NSW, starting at 8:00am and running to 6:00pm.